Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: 9849-8A here is what I got

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    9849-8A here is what I got

    Got the mate to my loner today.
    Interesting stuff.
    Mine is a 9849-8b.

    Woof is a 414-8C, alnoco. Reconed.....not sure if it's a real Altec cone.
    HF driver is an alnico 806 with a tangerine phase plug.

    Altecs006

    Shorter than an 802-8G

    Altecs004


    Has a loading cap.

    Altecs005

    The tangerine phase plug fell out when I took it apart....not unusual.....a clean and super glue job.

    I hope to get another matching HF driver from the seller....if he didn't sell em all!

    The fram is the 23744!



    Ron

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: 9849-8A here is what I got

    Now i'd call that rare. Not that i doubted the existence, but this is absolutely the first time i've ever seen a tangerine in an 806 body.

    I need to open my other 9849-8D some day, the one i've opened has the 23746 driver, 23744 phragm, loading cap, new style rear cover, and steel phase plug.

    Many thanks for posting Ron.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: 9849-8A here is what I got

    Pretty weird huh?

    Here is a photo with the phase plug removed....it fell out!
    Time for some acetone and superglue.

    Altecs007

    Ron

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: 9849-8A here is what I got

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Now i'd call that rare. Not that i doubted the existence, but this is absolutely the first time i've ever seen a tangerine in an 806 body.

    I need to open my other 9849-8D some day, the one i've opened has the 23746 driver, 23744 phragm, loading cap, new style rear cover, and steel phase plug.

    Many thanks for posting Ron.
    Well he sold them all, so no match for me. Went to Korea of course.

    I'll never find a match. I goofed!

    Ron

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    9849-8A here is what I got


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 9849-8A here is what I got

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Now i'd call that rare. Not that i doubted the existence, but this is absolutely the first time i've ever seen a tangerine in an 806 body.
    Not really super rare. I think "not common" again might be the best.
    The 806 was discontinued about when tangerines came on.

    Note the 78 catalog only shows 802...

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ome/page11.jpg

    But the 806 continued in OEM use in cabs way past where it was discontinued officially. Many if not all of these are tangerines, made after the change.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 9849-8A here is what I got

    Hey Ron, while you have it apart, are those screws 6-32 or 8-32's and how long?
    The question comes up now and then. If your not familiar with the gauging, 6-32
    is like the screw that holds a wall switch or plug plate on. 8-32 is slightly larger.
    Thanks, Art..............






  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: 9849-8A here is what I got

    Quote Originally Posted by Art J. View Post
    Hey Ron, while you have it apart, are those screws 6-32 or 8-32's and how long?
    The question comes up now and then. If your not familiar with the gauging, 6-32
    is like the screw that holds a wall switch or plug plate on. 8-32 is slightly larger.
    Thanks, Art..............





    The cover screws are 6/32 and .675" long. Steel.
    The fram + loading cap screws are also 6/32 and .875" long. Stainless....they are non magnetic.

    Ron

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 9849-8A here is what I got

    Back when I was into making car models superglue was not used on clear Styrene plastic because the fumes given off during curing would etch the surface of the plastic, turning it a milky white color.

  9. #9
    HB Super Moderator
    9849-8A here is what I got


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 9849-8A here is what I got

    Quote Originally Posted by RonSSS View Post
    Got the mate to my loner today.
    Interesting stuff.
    Mine is a 9849-8b.

    Woof is a 414-8C, alnoco. Reconed.....not sure if it's a real Altec cone.
    HF driver is an alnico 806 with a tangerine phase plug.

    forums

    Shorter than an 802-8G

    forums


    Has a loading cap.

    forums

    The tangerine phase plug fell out when I took it apart....not unusual.....a clean and super glue job.

    Hi Ron,



    Ron
    When using the superglue use it sparingly when it heats up it will leave a film a white film on everything inside of the driver.I used it once to glue a Tangerine back in and there was a white film all over the fram,driver inside.Did you ever see those police shows on TV were they heat superglue for fingerprints same thing here.Regards

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: 9849-8A here is what I got

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    When using the superglue use it sparingly when it heats up it will leave a film a white film on everything inside of the driver.I used it once to glue a Tangerine back in and there was a white film all over the fram,driver inside.Did you ever see those police shows on TV were they heat superglue for fingerprints same thing here.Regards
    Huh? I'm not planning on running these on a hot plate.
    ever pay attention to those police shows where they boil the superglue?

    Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.